Trip to the British Racing School in Newmarket
Poultec Equine and Animal Care Apprentices and their employers took an off the job visit to the British Racing School in Newmarket on 6th July 2022.
The British Racing School is located in Newmarket and is one of the two racing schools in the United Kingdom. Established in 1983, it is a charitable trust providing training for young people working in the horse racing industry.
Poultec tutor Sarah Abbs liaised with BRS manager Anna Sylvester who then organised a fulfilled morning which included the following;
- Introduction to what the British Racing School does and the training it provides to youngsters looking to become a jockey.
- A tour of the training race track, round pen and indoor/outdoor arenas. - watching a group of students complete a riding lesson.
- Visit to the yard - meeting some of the horses, students and staff as well as checking out the stables and their facilities.
- Minibus ride to see the horses working on Warren Hill Gallops - via a tour around Newmarket town spotting all the different race yards
- Tour around the new Pony Academy - meeting the ponies and staff and talk about the work they do with local schools
- Simulated race horse session - learning how to bridge and cross over the reins and complete a ride on the simulators.
All Poultec learners and their employers thoroughly enjoyed their visit to this amazing purpose built training centre. Seeing the extensive grounds and state of the art equipment was very interesting and informative.
Steve from Great Oak Equestrian said ‘Me and the girls have been talking about it all the way home; what we learned and how informative it was. Anna was the perfect host and it was very enlightening to see the industry from their perspective. I loved the work they are doing to rehabilitate the race horses and their work in the community is amazing.’